Attorneys Providing Legal Counsel for Complex Business Transactions
Linnemeyer Law, LLC has helped companies across Illinois complete mergers and acquisitions, establish joint ventures, and navigate other high-stakes transactions for over 15 years. We have facilitated the purchase and sale of businesses that range from restaurants to software companies, construction companies, manufacturers, insurance brokers, marketing agencies, and more.
While the potential rewards of a successful merger and acquisition are considerable, so are the risks. With transactions subject to a range of legal and regulatory issues, as well as the need to clearly define roles and responsibilities, working with an experienced mergers and acquisitions law firm is critical to navigating hurdles, protecting your company’s interests, and creating a foundation that facilitates growth and future success.
To schedule a consultation with an experienced Merger and Acquisitions lawyer, call (630) 332-3600 or contact us online.
Comprehensive Legal Counsel for Mergers and Acquisitions
We take a methodical, comprehensive approach to addressing regulatory, contractual, and financial issues inherent to mergers and acquisitions.
Our transaction services are tailored to the unique needs and goals of clients, and include assistance with a range of concerns and issues:
- Letters of intent (LOI)
- Sale agreement or purchase contract
- Due diligence investigations
- Lease or purchase or real estate
- Environmental issues
- Tax considerations
- Regulatory compliance
- Employment and shareholder agreements
- Non-compete agreement reviews
- Indemnification agreements
- Intellectual property and trade secret protection
- Outstanding liabilities and litigation
- Disclosure schedules
- Closing transaction documents
- Confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements (NDA)
To avoid common mistakes and pitfalls made in mergers and acquisitions, conducting an upfront due diligence investigation is vital to the strategic business deal. A thorough due diligence investigation involves gathering and analyzing managerial, operational, financial and legal information. These investigations can be a considerable undertaking for any buyer and obtaining experienced legal counsel is highly recommended.
The Types of Transactions We Handle
Mergers and acquisitions can entail a number of different transactions, as well as various legal, market, and contractual issues that are company- and industry-specific. They can be used to achieve specific objectives, such as expansion and greater market share, increased synergy, tax and operational efficiency (economies of scale), new niche offerings, or diversification and risk reduction.
Our M&A attorneys have experience with the following types of transactions:
- Sale of assets or sale of stocks
- Corporate restructure
- Tender offer
- Acquisition of assets
- Management acquisition
- Business formation
- Partnership dissolution
Mergers and Acquisitions Explained
When it comes to sustainable business growth and consolidation, mergers and acquisitions have long been essential strategies. As complex transactions that involve buying, selling, merging, or divestitures, mergers and acquisitions have significant potential to shape the dynamic of a particular company, or the industry in which they operate. Mergers and acquisitions refers generally to the consolidation of companies or assets. Although used interchangeably by some, there are distinct differences between the two:
- Mergers – A merger generally involves two (or more) companies of similar size that agree to move forward as a single business entity.
- Acquisitions – In an acquisition, an acquiring company purchases another company’s ownership stakes (or a majority stake), with both maintaining a separate legal existence. This often includes a target company’s stocks and assets and allows the acquiring company to make decisions without approval from a target company’s shareholders.
Speak With a Mergers and Acquisitions Lawyer Today
Linnemeyer Law, LLC is readily available to assist companies across Illinois and other parts of the country in facilitating strategic transactions that create the foundation for future success and growth for your business.